What are Industrial Paints Used For?
One of the many questions our specialist team at IPS Paint Supplies is often asked is ‘what are industrial paints used for compared to regular paint?’
In short, industrial paint and regular paint are two completely different types of paint products and as such should be used for specific applications.
Here are main differences between these types of paint and why only industrial paint should be used on specific structures.
- Composition: Industrial paint is typically formulated with higher-quality ingredients compared to regular paint. It often contains a higher concentration of pigments, binders, and additives, making it more durable and resistant to wear and tear. Regular paint, on the other hand, may have a lower pigment load and fewer additives, making it more suitable for general use.
- Performance: Industrial paint is designed to withstand heavy use and provide enhanced performance in demanding environments. It offers better coverage, durability, and resistance to fading, chipping, and stains. It is often used in high-traffic areas such as Industrial buildings, offices, hospitals, and schools. Regular paint is generally suitable for residential use and offers satisfactory performance for common interior and exterior applications.
- Cost: Industrial paint is typically more expensive than regular paint due to its higher-quality ingredients and superior performance. Since it is formulated to meet specific requirements and endure heavy use, it often comes at a premium price. Regular paint, being more widely available and suitable for general purposes, tends to be more affordable.
- Availability: Industrial paint is primarily sold through specialised suppliers and retailers, like IPS Paint Supplies, catering to the needs of professionals, contractors, and Industrial projects. It may be available in a narrower range of colours and finishes compared to regular paint, which can be found in a wide variety of shades and finishes at general hardware and home improvement stores.
It’s worth noting that the terms “Industrial paint” and “regular paint” can vary in meaning depending on the context and the specific industry. Therefore, it’s always advisable to refer to the product specifications and consult with experts or suppliers to ensure you select the most appropriate type of paint for your intended use.
Structures Where Industrial Paint Should be Applied
Industrial paint is typically recommended for structures or surfaces that require enhanced durability and performance due to their specific use or conditions. Here are some examples of structures where Industrial paint is commonly used:
- Industrial Buildings: As the name suggests, Industrial paint is commonly used in Industrial buildings such as offices, retail stores, restaurants, hotels, and shopping malls. These structures often experience high levels of foot traffic, frequent cleaning, and exposure to various environmental factors. Industrial paint provides better resistance to wear, stains, and fading, making it suitable for these demanding environments.
- Industrial Facilities: Industrial structures, including factories, warehouses, and manufacturing plants, often require specialized paint that can withstand harsh conditions such as extreme temperatures, humidity, chemical exposure, and abrasion. Industrial paint formulated for industrial use provides enhanced durability and protection against these factors.
- Educational Institutions: Schools, colleges, and universities are subjected to heavy daily use, including students, staff, and maintenance activities. Industrial paint is often preferred for educational institutions due to its ability to withstand frequent cleaning, scrubbing, and potential vandalism. It helps maintain a fresh and durable finish in high-traffic areas like hallways, classrooms, and cafeterias.
- Healthcare Facilities: Hospitals, clinics, and medical centres have unique requirements for paint due to infection control protocols, cleanliness standards, and frequent disinfection. Industrial paint designed for healthcare environments offers properties like mould and mildew resistance, easy cleaning, and durability against cleaning agents. It helps maintain a hygienic and sterile environment.
- Public Facilities: Structures such as airports, train stations, stadiums, and government buildings are subject to heavy use and exposure to the elements. Industrial paint is commonly used in these settings to provide long-lasting protection, resist fading, and withstand cleaning and maintenance activities.
IPS Paint Supplies
It’s important to consult with professionals or paint suppliers like IPS Paint Supplies who can provide specific recommendations based on the requirements of the structure or project. We are stockists of leading brands including HMG Paints, Selemix and Mipa Paints.
We can guide you in selecting the appropriate type of Industrial paint for the intended application.
Call our specialist team on the numbers below to find out more:
Swansea: 01792 784078
Cardiff: 02920 022461