Maintaining Your Expensive Paint Job
So, you’ve just forked out a small fortune on a new paint job on your car by a professional automotive body shop. If that sounds like you, it’s important to maintain the paint on your car is essential to keep it looking good and protecting it from environmental damage.
The auto paint professionals at IPS Paint Supplies have come up with our top six car paint maintenance tips to keep your vehicle sparkling and gleaming at all times:
Top Six Car Maintenance Tips
- Wash your car regularly: Regular washing is essential to remove dirt, dust, and other contaminants that can damage your car’s paint. Use a mild car shampoo and a soft sponge or microfiber cloth to avoid scratching the surface.
- Dry the car properly: After washing, dry your car thoroughly with a clean microfiber towel to avoid water spots and mineral deposits.
- Wax or polish your car: Applying a coat of wax or polish can protect your car’s paint from UV rays, acid rain, and other environmental damage. Waxing or polishing also adds shine and depth to the paint.
- Park in the shade: Direct sunlight can fade your car’s paint over time. Whenever possible, park your car in the shade or use a car cover.
- Avoid harsh chemicals: Avoid using harsh chemicals, such as bleach or ammonia-based cleaners, on your car’s paint. These chemicals can damage the paint and cause discoloration.
- Repair chips and scratches: Chips and scratches can expose the metal underneath and lead to rust. Repairing them promptly can prevent further damage to the paint and the body of the car.
Essential Products to Keep Your Car Gleaming
Maintaining your car’s paint job also involves using the right products to keep it looking clean and shiny. These should include:
- Using a mild car wash soap to clean your car’s exterior. Avoid using household detergents or soaps as they can damage the paint.
- Using a soft microfibre towel to dry your car after washing. These towels are gentle on the paint and absorb water well, reducing the risk of water spots.
- A clay bar is a soft, sticky putty that can remove contaminants such as dirt, dust, and tar from your car’s paint. It can help smooth out the surface and prepare it for waxing.
- Wax or sealant can protect your car’s paint from UV rays, acid rain, and other environmental damage. Apply a thin layer of wax or sealant using a soft applicator pad, and buff it off with a microfiber towel for a shiny finish.
- Detailing spray can be used between washes to remove dust and smudges from your car’s paint. Spray it on and wipe it off with a microfiber towel for a quick clean.
- If your car’s paint has minor scratches or swirl marks, use a scratch remover to buff them out. These products can restore the shine and colour of the paint.
IPS Paint Supplies
In summary, maintaining the paint on your car involves regular washing, drying, waxing, and avoiding harsh chemicals. Parking in the shade and repairing chips and scratches promptly can also help protect your car’s paint and keep it looking good for longer. Using the recommended products listed above can also keep your car looking clean, shiny, and protected from environmental damage.
At IPS Paint Supplies we provide a comprehensive range of car maintenance products which are available to purchase from our depots in Cardiff and Swansea or available to order over the phone by calling:
Swansea: 01792 784078
Cardiff: 02920 022461