Choosing and Applying Car Paint
Choosing the right paint for your car is an important decision that can greatly affect its appearance and durability. For some people, the only option is to get it done professionally via an auto paint garage to ensure a professional job and superior finish.
However, if you want to have a go at repainting your vehicle yourself, the team at IPS Paint Supplies has come up with these useful guidelines to get you started.
Tips for DIY Car Paint Application
- Determine your budget – car paints come in a wide range of prices, so it’s essential to set a budget that you’re comfortable with. Keep in mind that higher-quality paints usually provide better results but may be more expensive.
- Think about the desired finish, colour, and overall appearance you want for your car. Do you prefer a glossy or matte finish? Are you looking for a standard factory colour or a custom colour? Understanding your needs and preferences will help narrow down your options.
- Research the types of automotive paint. There are generally three types of automotive paint: acrylic lacquer, acrylic enamel, and urethane. Acrylic lacquer is an older type and less commonly used today. Acrylic enamel provides a durable finish but may require more effort to achieve a high-quality result. Urethane paints are popular for their durability, gloss, and colour retention.
- Evaluate the paint’s durability and weather resistance. Look for paints that offer good resistance to UV rays, chemicals, and weather elements. This will help maintain the appearance and protect the underlying surface of your car.
- Read reviews and seek recommendations from professionals, car enthusiasts, or online communities. Their experiences can provide valuable insights into the performance and quality of different paint brands.
- Before committing to a particular paint, consider getting small paint samples or swatches to test on your car’s surface. Apply the samples in inconspicuous areas and observe how they look under different lighting conditions.
- Consider the application method. Automotive paint can be applied through various methods such as spray guns, aerosol cans, or touch-up pens. Spray guns typically provide the best results, but they require proper equipment and skills. Aerosol cans and touch-up pens are more convenient for small touch-ups or minor repairs.
IPS Paint Supplies
If you’re unsure about the right paint for your car, contact the team at IPS Paint Supplies. We can offer expert advice based on your specific requirements and guide you towards suitable options.
Call into our depots in Cardiff or Swansea, alternatively you can call a member of our team on the numbers below:
Swansea: 01792 784078
Cardiff: 02920 022461